Sunday, November 23, 2008

Broken Hearted

My grandmother's oncologist meeting exactly as she had expected. There are no treatment options to cure her cancer. The treatment they offered was a surgery to install a port, and chemo treatments for her entire life just to try to keep the cancer in check and only in her lungs.

Also as expected, she chose to forego treatment. While I am really sad, I know that my grandmother has been through so much, and decided a long time ago what she would do in a situation such as this. She is a very strong woman, and I respect her decision. Sadly, the doctor gave her 6 months because of the aggressiveness of this cancer.

Growing up, my grandmother had a huge influence on me and my brother. She and my grandfather (who passed away in 2004) were the epitome of a happy marriage and truly good people. Neither one of them ever passed judgement on anyone, even when they personally didn't agree with the situation. Their grandchildren have all benefitted from their open hearts and minds. She taught me what is really important in life (and is still teaching me). Her faith in both God and her fellow humans is truly admirable. I can only pray that I have the dignity, respect and love for others and myself that she has. She handles tough times with a smile and love, and can make your day better in an instant.

The Hubs's grandmother's cancer has spread dramatically, too. Her latest scan shows cancer in her brain again, in her kidney, and in the bones of her legs. While I don't have an update on the type or severity, I know three months ago it was only in her kidney. However, Nana is still making her trips to Atlantic City, and feels great. I hope this continues.

I understand death is a part of life, but it is not an easy part of life, especially when it's someone you care for and love so deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment