Sunday, August 10, 2008

Pirates in Court

From November 4, 2007
Tuesday, The Hubs and I were in court, and had no one to watch the babies, so they came along.
The great thing about taking young children with you is that you get special treatment. At least I assume everyone does. Maybe it's just us, because our kids are so loud and irritable. Who knows. Whatever it is, it works.
So, the judge/trustee decides we get to go first. While we're waiting, however, a man walks in with a black eye patch over his eye. I would barely have even noticed this guy if it weren't for Audrey.
In the dead silence of the room, Audrey gasps in horror. Then she turns to me and says 'MOMMY - IS HE A PIRATE?!?!', with such obvious concern that I didn't even laugh at her for asking that.
So I try to hush her, assure her that he is NOT a pirate (at least not a good one, if he's in bankruptcy court, no booty there).
'IS HE GONNA SAY ARG?' At this point, all of the nice people sitting around us are laughing, and our attorney is trying hard to control his expression and hide his amusement. Unsuccessfully. He is turning colors from trying to hold in laughs. And his eyes are beginning to water.
Luckily, the trustee called us then. I know the pirate heard us. I was so glad to get out of there.
On the way out, Audrey kept her eye on the pirate. Smart kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment