Saturday, August 9, 2008

Autism Diagnosis

JT got his "autism disorder" diagnosis in March of 2008. We knew in July of 2007 that autism was very likely, due to JT's strange behaviors and lack of speech.

The wait list to get a 'team evaluation' at Arkansas Children's Hospital was roughly 10 months, but luckily we came into contact with some people who helped us get in a little sooner.

It was an all-day appointment - from 8:30am until 2:30pm (with a small break for lunch). There were 4 professionals that took part in JT's evaluation - a developmental pediatrician, a speech language pathologist, a psychologist and a social worker. Although I was warned beforehand that receiving the actual diagnosis takes months usually, it took the team 10 minutes to conclude that JT did indeed have autism. He has classical (not regressive) autism.

From birth, JT was always a 'good baby'. He loved to play alone. He would shut himself into our room and scream when we came in. After putting him down at night, we would hear him giggling and belly laughing by himself - perhaps the happiest he had been all day.

At his day care, no one noticed his behaviors as odd or delayed. In fact, they were surprised when I told them I was fairly certain he was autistic. This was surprising to me mainly because he was at a Developmental Day Treatment Center, and the therapists (speech, occupational) were all baffled. The last few months he went there, they transitioned him from the baby to the toddler room. They commented 'He had a rougher transition than any other child they had ever had.' I had to be called up there to pick him up a few times simply because they couldn't calm him down. I was missing so much work just from him picking up illnesses and getting so sick, then all the issues he was having with his classroom move, that I put in my notice at work.

He never really talked/babbled/interacted. He loved to run in circles. I started noticing the toe walking around 15 months, and shortly after the hand flapping.

At first, even our pediatrician wasn't convinced JT was autistic. However, as time passed, it became more and more obvious. His behaviors that once just seemed a little off were now seen as inappropriate. He was no longer just a 'late talker', but way behind in speech.

I called Arkansas' early intervention in August of 2007. The only therapy that was ever set up was developmental. We loved Miss Rennie, she helped immensely in generally helping JT with skills and just giving us information about what we could do.

He was very anti-social until a few months after I became a stay at home mom. Finally, he started seeking out attention, wanting to be around the rest of the family. From the time his developmental therapist started in August until we moved in April, he made HUGE progress socially. She said 'he isn't even the same kid he was when I first started coming!'. This is what I am the most thankful for - my son wanting to be around us.

When the diagnosis came, we were not surprised at all. It was just a formality to get services more easily for JT. Without the diagnosis, getting therapy or other services is very difficult (who am I kidding, it's difficult anyway).

Basically, I try to focus on JT's therapies main points and incorporate them into our lives. However, he is (first and foremost) just a child. I do not want my son's childhood to be nothing but therapies. I do think they are very important, but also strongly believe that in order to grow, children must be able to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment