Sunday, April 3, 2011

My heart.


In all of our PT drama today, we went to Chick Fil A. They have a little indoor playground, and the kids love it.

About 30 min into our lunch, I see a daddy and little girl walk up. I notice she's walking different - I think she had mild CP or something similar. Motor issues.

Anyway, the little playground door is behind us, we can see in because our table is up against the window looking in.

The daddy and little girl walk in, and he's helping her around...

Audrey sees her. She watches her, tries to hold her hand, realizes there's something different.

You can see her talking to the little girl, of course we can't hear anything through the glass.

The girl walked up to the play structure - it's those big chunky steps they climb on to go up to the tubes. Her dad was still helping her, she was having trouble getting up there.

Audrey reached her hand out and the little girl grabbed it (the dad let go of her, I guess he was wondering what was going to happen, too). She couldn't pull her up. She tried a few more times, then Audrey stepped down, picked the little girl up under her arms, and the little girl could step up and got to the next step. They did this a few more times.

I started crying. My husband was just watching.

I left to go next door to Walgreens to grab some stuff (plus I looked like a dope crying in Chick Fil A) and when I came back, they were playing Hide and Seek in the tiny room. The Hubs said Audrey pretended she couldn't find the little girl forever when it was her turn (because she couldn't climb up the structure).

Of all the things I could be proud of with Audrey, her heart is the one I love the most. I try to follow her example, because she is one of the best people I have ever known.

When we got into the car, we told her how proud we were of her for helping the little girl.

She said she was her friend, and we always help our friends.

She has no idea how much of a difference she makes in people's lives, and I think she'd think we were all crazy for thinking it was anything but normal. And that's what's so beautiful about the whole thing. She loves to compliment, help, do anything... and it never occurs to her that anyone wouldn't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment