Saturday, May 31, 2008

Evals Galore

Today JT had his speech eval (yes, on a Saturday), and Monday night is his behavioral eval.

The speech evals are always really hard. It's heartbreaking to have to answer 'No' so many times... And there's no way around that. Plus, the observation when she's trying to talk to him, get him to do things... And he just won't. Or can't. It is so difficult to watch your child fail a test... Even if it's not a pass/fail type deal - it just means more services. It's still hard.

I am having a harder time with this now... I guess because I'm having to actually deal with therapies and services and all that... Before, the waiting to move kind of saved me... I didn't really have to deal with it all that much. On top of the fact that we've had so many evaluations, and he doesn't score in the 'normal' range for any of them...

Today was the first time I've ever cried during one of his assessments. I don't know why it hit me so suddenly. I HATE crying in front of people, and this sweet lady is telling me it's okay, that I'm a wonderful mom, that my son is doing so great... And I just couldn't keep a straight face. I am so not the type to cry, but for some reason, it happened.

We had our first visit to the Williamson County Medical Center Emergency Room two days ago... JT has a sprained right ankle/foot and a jammed toe that is black and swollen. Poor kid - he just is so wild he always hurts himself. I don't even know what happened... He was sitting on our bed holding his foot when he started crying... And he can't tell me what happened, so I just assume he jumped off the bed and hurt it.

We are still loving it out here... I'm doing a duathlon (the DuRunRun in Nashville) on Father's Day. I'm pretty excited .

Anyway, I hope everyone else is doing well... Hopefully the therapies will start soon... We have one more eval we have to go through (Occupational Therapy) before they're all over. And it's an ugly one... Little Weedoh has major sensory issues.

I have been reading all these awful stories about teachers and how they treat the special education kids... And realizing my son will be one of them, it is just gut-wrenching. I hope that all my parent friends teach their children to respect all people, even if they are different... Because they are all important... And they have feelings, too.

Love to everyone,

Kate

1 comment:

  1. Hey girlie, we miss you guys here in the Rock! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete