Monday, May 19, 2008

Fun in the Sun!

Well, warm weather is finally getting here... Kind of!
The kids have been enjoying the great outdoors. Our neighbors built our kids a real tire swing (how sweet!), and they love the horses and all the other animals out here.
Audrey got her first tick (at least the first one she knows about). She completely lost it, and four days later, she's calm until the word tick comes up.
JT has been eating his weight in food daily. He's ALWAYS eating! He is only about 1/2 an inch shorter than Audrey now, and definitely a few pounds heavier... And 16 months younger. He is also extremely strong, and throws a mean sidearm you wouldn't believe. WITH AIM.
We had his Tennessee Early Intervention evaluation last week. Hopefully his therapies will pick up soon here. I am having a few 'complications' with TEIS. See, our coordinator told us that behavioral therapy (ABA) wasn't covered by TEIS. Then, the lady that did the eval last week told us that it IS, and several of her clients receive this therapy through TEIS. Well, ABA is the ONLY therapy proven to actually help autism, so now I'm a little angry. Angry that she lied to me, and confused as to why she would do that? The evaluator said she would speak with our coordinator about ABA and recommend it. If it's not on our 'Plan', I'm not signing it. I have already looked up the Autism Society here in Middle Tennessee and I'll call an advocate if I have to. I don't understand why they try to screw kids with disabilities out of services the government covers... I mean, what does that say about our society? We take the weakest, and we take away what they're entitled to legally? No better than the playground bully, really.
I'm sure there will be plenty more rants about this if our coordinator doesn't include ABA in our plan. But, for now, I'm going to try to be calm.
JT's tantrums have gotten worse. I don't know if it's his age, his inability to talk, or a combination of both. He has the most shrill scream I have EVER heard... And I have worked in day cares, so I know kids screams! He did sit on the potty a few days ago. Didn't go, but it was a great start!
The Hubs loves his job! Dillard's had swim day Saturday, and The Hubs's store got first place in his division (sales in swim were over $14k just that day!). He was so pumped!
I've found my trails on the Trace. I run every other day out there... It is so beautiful. I'm always alone on the trails, and there's something about being out there with all the sounds of the birds and the trees - it's impossible to explain. It's an instant mood-lifter. I also got my bike out, and rode up the Trace a little. I'm glad I didn't try a long ride, holy moly my bottom HURTS! I have to get on it soon, though... My dad are doing the Jack and Back MS150 bike ride in October!
So, there ya have it... The Duzan family update.

1 comment:

  1. When you said "swim day", at first I thought you meant a swim party... funny!... you like to run? I hate it... I walk on my treadmill everyday though so I can definitely relate to your need to "exercise"... it calms me down and relaxes me so much... good luck with getting JT hooked up with the services he needs... that must be very frustrating! Well, I will talk with you later...

    ReplyDelete