Monday, June 9, 2008

My Kitty!!!

Evie is VERY sick. She spent Thursday through Saturday at the vet 'hospital', and after seeing improvement the first day, she wasn't doing so well Saturday morning.
She has hepatic lipidosis - 'fatty liver'. Cats aren't made to metabolize their body fat for energy. If a cat stops eating (for any reason), their liver gets clogged with their body fat, effectively making it stop working.
Her bloodwork today was not better, but not worse. However, I have seen an improvement in her mood since we've been home... She's been acting more like Evie. Sleeping in our bed instead of hiding, protesting more when she doesn't want to do something... She also hadn't lost any more weight as of this morning... So I brought her home.
I am giving her IV fluids sub-q (in the fat on her back) 1-2x a day, along with syringe feeding her food, since she has no appetite. She is tolerating the food much better than she was at first, so not near as much vomiting.
She is REALLY yellow...
Anyway, Evie is my precious sweet kitty, and I'm hoping that she starts showing signs of improvement soon...
Keep her in your thoughts and prayers... We need a big miracle... But neither one of us is ready to give up just yet.

1 comment:

  1. Poor kitty!... I hope Evie gets better... I know how incredibly tough it is to have a sick pet (she is part of your family... not just a pet)... good luck Evie!... you are in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete