Saturday, May 12, 2012

My big news!



I read stories in the news of teachers mistreating special needs kids.

I hear stories of teachers giving up on special needs kids, saying they're not capable because of their disability.

And my heart breaks every time I hear, see, or read anything about our educational system failing a child with a disability. I see JT, his classmates, his friends... and I know that while they have a good team, there are so many who do not. We are lucky.

But it shouldn't be about luck. Every child deserves an awesome teacher who is invested in their success and pushes them to achieve.

About a year ago, after reading a particularly depressing article, I told my husband I was applying to grad school. I didn't know when or where, but I knew that I wanted to go back to school to be a Special Education teacher. Working with my son has been the most rewarding experience I could ever have imagined, and I would love to make a career doing what I love.

In February, I took a leap of faith and applied to Graduate School. For almost three months I have checked my email for the notification that a decision has been made on my application. On May 1, I got it. I held my breath as I opened the link, and was so excited to see the welcome letter.

This fall, I am headed to UNCC to get my Masters in Special Education.

Many of us special needs parents (moms especially) leave careers to care for our children. For many of us, we find a passion. Whether it's teaching, advocating, caring for special needs individuals in general... we find a new sense of purpose.

I want to be part of the reason the world changes for our kids.

I finally feel like I'm on the way to doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Without autism, without my sweet baby boy have been diagnosed, I would never have found what I really want to do with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment