Friday, June 8, 2012

Audrey and TD.

I know, I know.

I'm the parent of a SN child, and if I heard a parent complaining about the problems their kid faces in the gifted program, I'd probably throw up a little in my mouth, too.

But it's true...

Audrey is used to being the smart kid. She's always been the first to answer, the first to get called on if no one else is answering, and the kid all the teachers brag on. She's used to being able to just wing it and get all the right answers without trying.

I didn't really think about that when she tested into the gifted program.

Now that she's in there, she's facing a few issues.

First, she's not used to being challenged. It's difficult for her to have to think to get an answer. She's uncomfortable and it upsets her that she doesn't immediately get it. She equates 'working for it' to 'I'm not smart'. Which is obviously not the case, as every kid in TD (talent development) has to work for it. That's sort of the point. To be challenged.

Second, and what I'm really seeing, is her identity is going to have to change. The whole 'smartest kid' thing isn't her 'deal' anymore. She's with 30 other 'smartest kids in the class' now, all in one class. So she's just average in the realm of gifted program students. She has to find a new place to fit in and be herself. That's not easy.

The TD program is intensive starting next year. She's going to have to work really, really hard. The expectations are high. The academics they work on are tough. They have seen her scores, they know she is capable of the work. Convincing her she is capable is proving to be a little more difficult, though.

We have a lot of work to do this summer - a lot of math and reading (per the TD instructor's report card notes) to keep up her current level and build so she's prepared for next year.

Most important is to get her self esteem up so that she has a 'can do' attitude.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I always went to private schools and was never around a Gifted and Talented Program. I'm not sure if my kids will be involved with it or not. Don't get me wrong, I think they are smart - but I just don't know how smart.

    ReplyDelete